At Abbott, we take a great deal of pride in our life-changing technologies and our ability to help you treat patients with structural heart disease.
Our family of Mechanical Heart Valves has been implanted in over 3 million patients1; the only mechanical valves to reach this milestone and have been studied in more than 1,000 peer reviewed publications.2
Over the past 40+ years, the Abbott family of Mechanical Heart Valves has been implanted in over 3 million patients; the only mechanical valve to reach this milestone. This impacts not only the lives of 3 million patients, but also their loved ones and friends. Our Abbott mechanical heart valves are an important part of our legacy, helping surgeons to rebuild healthier hearts for their patients over several decades.
Addressing an unmet need for high-risk pediatric patients
Only Abbott provides the world's smallest pediatric mechanical heart valve, the 15 mm Masters HP, for aortic and mitral heart valves. Developed to address an unmet need for high-risk pediatric patients who formerly had limited options. The patients who need the valve are usually younger than 1 year old with complex heart defects, have had multiple prior heart surgeries and require a valve replacement.
Meet Sadie: A recipient of the world’s smallest 15 mm Pediatric Mechanical Heart Valve
Diagnosed with a heart condition before birth, Sadie received an Abbott mechanical heart valve that saved her life.
A long-term solution for heart valve replacement
The Masters Mechanical Heart Valve is made of carbon material that offers unmatched strength and durability. Long-term studies have shown the Masters valve has notable longevity and may last for at least 30 years.4,5 The newest generation, Regent™ aortic mechanical heart valve is designed to provide exception hemodynamics and low thrombogenicity.
Meet Allen: A 37-Year mechanical heart valve replacement
Diagnosed with endocarditis at 19 years old, Allen had his aortic valve replaced in his mid-30s with an Abbott Mechanical Heart Valve. After 37 years, Allen is still living a full life without any restrictions.
MASTERS SERIES MECHANICAL HEART VALVE
REGENT™ MECHANICAL HEART VALVE
Abbott mechanical heart valves lead the way with a proven bileaflet design that results in low thrombogenicity and excellent patient outcomes.
- Leaflets open to an 85-degree angle in systole due to their upstream positioning, enabled by unique pivot guards (shown at right)
- Strong, uniform velocities within hinge recesses aid washout of blood elements6
- Low carbon surface area means less thrombus formation
- Orifice-to-annulus ratio (as high as 84%) ensures large effective orifice areas (EOAs) and reduces prosthesis-patient mismatch7
The pivot guard design an Abbott hallmark
Featured in all Abbott Mechanical Heart Valves, the Pivot Guard offers benefits both during implant and post-implant
- Recessed design minimizes interaction with sub-annular native mitral valve apparatus
- Minimized carbon surface area can lessen thrombus formation
- Pivot guards help shield pivot mechanism from pannus ingrowth
- Enables a consistent 85-degree opening angle, promoting minimized leaflet flutter and more laminar flow through the orifice
MAT-2106693 v2.0 | Item approved for U.S. use only.